Like most Massive Multiplayer Online Games Rift has its fair share of tedious grinds to keep you coming back over and over. Its one of the ways any game, especially MMOs, keep a fan base. Players very often do not like this and may eventually grow weary. They may start to contemplate taking a break or leaving the game altogether. To prevent this burnout many of us find shortcuts to get through the grind the quickest way we possibly can to enjoy the parts of the game that we want to. Here we will cover the most well known and quickest methods of farming different currencies that are important in the world of Telara.
Bonuses to Currency
There are different bonuses that can be obtained and used to boost the rate at which you obtain currencies in Rift. Most of these are done through the use of real money and by purchasing services to use in game. These almost all scale with the amount of money you pay with the most economical being the Patron status which provides a consistent 40% for the entire time you have Patron. Other sources include loyalty tier rewards where you make enough purchases that your loyalty will reach a tier that gives a bonus. These bonuses are permanent once recieved. These are the bonuses that can be obtained through different means
|+%||Type||Source of Bonus|
|10%||Loyalty||Orange Tier Loyalty Reward|
|15%||Loyalty||Black Tier Loyalty Reward|
|20%||Loyalty||Silver Tier Loyalty Reward|
|80%||Tablet||Greater Token Tablet|
|160%||Tablet||Transcendent Token Tablet|
Planarite is one of the key currencies that you start out with in Rift and it is still very useful at the level cap. It is used for all sorts of purchases but right now the biggest sink for planartie is probably the Tenebrean Attuners used for upgrading amenders. Planarite can be farmed by so many methods that we are just going to list the major ones here.
- Closing rifts spawned individually or during a zone event
- Killing invasions or plane touched enemies
- Progressing through Nightmare Rifts, a special form of Rifts that award additional planarite
- Destroying footholds or the more intense version Strongholds
- Defending Wardstones during onslaught invasions
While there are plenty of ways to cut out the redundancy or boredom while farming planarite to acquire a large amount of it players normally stick to one of just a couple methods. There are currently two major ways of farming planarite that most do and they are by farming Nightmare Rifts or Onslaughts in Planetouched Wilds.
Onslaughts are areas in which you build up defenses and the monsters essentialy raid your area. We use planetouched wildsb beause there is no need to mentor down and you should have your maximum abilities on level 65 invasions making them easy to kill. One onslaught will easily yield 200+ invasions and each invasions gives ~50 planarite before bonuses.
- Find an onslaught that has not begun. There is only one available in each zone at a time.¹
- Shal Korva: Earth invasions (Butcherable) – wardstone appears at /setwaypoint 10302 5976
- Ovog: Air invasions (Butcherable) – wardstone appears at /setwaypoint 9236 1081
- Woe: Death invasions (Not Butcherable) – wardstone appears at /setwaypoint 9370 4993
- Jad: Earth invasions (Butcherable) – wardstone appears at /setwaypoint 11663 5751
- Khort: Air invasions (Butcherable) – wardstone appears at /setwaypoint 9697 7070
- To prevent it from starting prematurely, upgrade the outter parts, the spiritstones and spiritwells, first before the primal focus.
- Upgrade the primal focus to the maximum allowed, typically three.
- Invasions will spawn and head towards the focus.
If you do not find a specific one you need you must activate and end the active one on that shard to spawn a different one.
Nightmare Rifts Overview
Nightmare Rifts are a bit slower than the onslaughts however you may get caches that allow you to store and use later on to obtain planarite. This is useful if you wish to exceed the 200k cap. Nightmare rifts were originally designed as core game play feature when the level cap was 65. Nightmare rifts essentially allowed a never ending rift whose difficulty rose the higher in levels that one reached but the rewards matched the diffuculty. At the time there were rewards such as the Best In Slot essences but now we can use these just for planarite. There are two versions of the lures.
- Nightmare Lure come in 5 different versions, I through V and each open up a rift in the open world that anyone is free to join. They are the simpler of the two to participate in because you can essentially leave or take breaks whenever you wish. It is common for you to see people in CrossEvents advertising for a raid that is farming planarite with a location and shard where it is.
- Nightmare Lure Instances are rifts that are opened up in an instanced are that have a cap of twenty (20) people as one raid. These are rarely run any more because they require the entire group to be present and work together in a more focused manner. During the Nightmare Tide expansion they were more appealing to players attempting to acquire the achievements that were needed to buy the higher tiered Nightmare lures.
Forming a Nightmare Rift
If you are not joining a group that has already started a Nightmare Rift then it is relatively simple to start one. Our suggestions, though not really required in this exact order or combination follow.
- Acquire a Nightmare Lure by purchasing in the Rift Store under Rifts > Nightmare Rifts.
- The level Nightmare Lure that you can purchase is locked by an achievment.
- In order to purchase a level II you need to have the meta achievment for Nightmare I’s complete and so on until VI
- You may get the achievment for Nightmare V and purchase a Nightmare VI without completeing I-IV achievments. and prior.
- Find a tear in the open world, preferably one close to a porticulum so that you have an easier time getting more people to participate
- Tarken Glacier is the most well used zone for this
- We highly advised having at least a group of players before starting to close stages in the Rift
- At a certain level you will fail without having a larger group of people
- Players are more likely to come to a rift that has more players as they know it is not in danger of closing at any moment
- Advertise in Cross Events and invite players who whisper you to group
- Make sure to put a shard and location in your advertisement as many players will not whisper and just show up
- There is an item in the Rift store that will summon your raid to a Nightmare Rift if you wish to use
- The first 50-80 stages should be relatively simple and not require much of anyting besides blind shooting
- After this you should have a tank who knows how to manage the enemies as well as one person who is managaing power ups.
- Power Ups are abilities that spawn around the Nightmare Rift that allow boosts to different abilities and p layers
- There are a limited amount of these so having on person manage them assures that they are used properly
- Achievement Tip: If you have to leave do not log off. You will continue getting achievements even after you have left.
Crifts are not an often used method of farming planarite but if you want to maximize time its not bad. One crafting rift with patron should earn you around 1000, so a full 20 should be about 20000 planarite. This also counts for rifts as well if they are the right amount.
Rifts are invovled in several different quests and upgrade requirements of gear. They range from closing a set amount of any rifts all the way to a certain number of a specific type of Rift. Rifts can be farmed in several different ways depending on your exact requirements.
On the west side of Ember Isle is a large underwater section. In this area between 7-9 rifts are normaly active, all of them water rifts of level 60. They are a quick and popular way of closing rifts because of the level and the short amount of stages that each have. In addition if soloing many times another player will be there doing the same thing so it may act like a duo making them go even faster.
- Solo get the debuff under water and start clearing the first stage of each rift in order. You can do the whole area or stick to the top or bottom. Once you have done each of the first stages on a shard hop to the next shard, without closing any. Do the same here and then return to the first shard. Now you should be able to go from rift to rift clearing just one stage again and they will close giving you full credit.
- Duo One person should start out closing just the first stage of each rift. The second person waits until the next stage times out, that is the timer runs out. They can then close the stage which closes the rifts and gives credit.
Stonefield is a popular spot for several different planes farming including foootholds, fire rifts and earth rifts all of which seem plentiful as they respawn quickly and are close to each other. As you can see to the left on the immediate east and west of the center tow are two areas that have up to six rifts each. If you get the right ones you can destroy one, move to another next to it and by then the first one is up.
Alternatively you can use the same method outlined in Ember Isle by closing stages until a timer appears and then jumping to another rift. Once you go to 5 or so the timer should be up and you can just close them (or have somone follow behind you to make it even quicker).
During a full scale zone invasion when many of the areas are not being guarded.
- On YARET find a zone event, obviously not an unstable event, and go to it. Bring up your map to see any established footholds. If there are not many you can also predict where enemies will establish them by looking at the direction an invasion is headed.
- Stonefield tends to have many footholds active at one time. If you are destorying footholds for a specific mission you can come here and mentor down to recieve credit for the footholds
- The Dendrom has a specific foothold which will respawn quite often
Popular Zones for Types
Air Iron Pine Peak Earth Stonefield Fire Stonefield Water Ember Isle Life Mooneshade? Death Stilmoor
When an invasion overruns a populated or strategically important area in Rift they normally will spawn a Foothold. A Foothold allows them to control the area and establish resources to assist other invasion forces.
- Any zone event should have a decent amount of Footholds that have been established and should be relatively easy farming. Visit your favorite Rift tracker and look for a zone event that is currently in progress and go farm. These are very often the best if you need to kill a specific type of foothold other than the ones mentioned here.
- Stonefield tends to have plenty of footholds that can be taken out on each shard.
- In The Dendrome there is a spot near hive Kaaz G’fuu that allows for almost all shards to have one up when cycling through them. In order for this to happen kill it and get credit, then upgrade it once so that an invasion spawns to attack it. Once it gears there it will kill the upgraded Barrier Relay and establish a new foothold. This should all happen while you are jumping shards to destroy more. This location is located at [ /setwaypoint 3447 3848 ] with Azcu’azg Oasis being the closes porticulum to it.
- Yaret: A Zone Event Tracker
- Slave to the Grind – Rift Forums
- 7 April 2019: Initial Draft of Several Parts
- 7 April 2019: Several major modifications and addtions made for QC Checks.